The free consultation (and the initial intake session) should be as much YOU "interviewing" the therapist as it is the therapist doing the interviewing. Here are some questions to consider asking:
1. What are some areas that are outside your scope of practice?
2. What is your process for terminating the therapeutic relationship if things don’t seem to be working out?
3. Do you have your own mental health support people?
4. What additional training/certifications (if any) do you have?
5. What should I do if I ever feel unsafe with you?
6. Who is your ideal client?
7. How do you approach a situation where I disagree with your guidance?
8. How do you suggest I determine whether or not therapy is working?